Here’s another buzzword we hear a lot of lately…. Holistic Beauty! Is this just a trend or a marketing ploy that might soon pass? Here at Sage and Ylang, we don’t think so. In fact, our skincare and beauty philosophy is hinged on the concept of holistic health and wellness. In this blog, we will explain what Holistic Beauty means, why it is important, and share 9 Holistic Beauty tips that you can adapt easily.
Holistic means dealing with or treating the whole of something or someone and not just a part (Cambridge Dictionary)
Beauty…the meaning of this is tricky as there are many definitions out there. However, as far we at Sage and Ylang are concerned, beauty is not defined by certain standards but rather by the overall health of the body (skin included, of course!), mind, and soul.
Essentially, Holistic Beauty is an all-encompassing approach to healthy body, mind, and soul which will ultimately result in healthier radiant skin. This definition will explain why beauty is more than skin deep. There are many quick fixes available to make your skin look instantaneously glowing and radiant, but the effects are only temporary. We have nothing against this but we would like to present a deeper meaning to achieving radiant skin, and we strongly advocate the holistic approach to beauty.
Here are 9 Holistic Beauty Tips for Radiant Skin…. inside out
1) use only clean and green skincare: this range does not contain harsh, questionable, non-sustainable cosmetic ingredients. For e.g. paraben, phenoxyethanol, silicon, PEG compounds etc. may be safe to use but why not choose a greener and more sustainable option if available.
2) Protect your skin from UV rays by using sunblock/sunscreen or use physical protection e.g. hats, long sleeve blouses or shirts to minimize exposure.
Sunblock/sunscreen will inevitably contain UV filters. Some of these UV filters are already banned or may be banned in certain countries. https://www.cosmeticsandtoiletries.com/regulatory/region/northamerica/US-Representative-Proposes-Ban-Review-of-Hundreds-of-Ingredients-495283321.html
So, read the labels and choose your sunblock/sunscreen wisely. Try to avoid those with dyes, synthetic fragrances, parabens, or banned UV filters. It is not easy to get hold of an organic sunblock/sunscreen, so the best practice is to make sure that you apply a base before using your sunblock. This base will protect your skin from direct contact with the UV filters.
3) Eat a balanced diet: avoid processed, fast food and excessive sugar (in drinks and pastries). https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/22-best-foods-for-healthy-skin/
4) Drink sufficient water: there are many different opinions on how much water to drink daily, but commonly most health authorities recommend 2liters per day…plain water is best.
5) Drink oil!: Taking cold pressed oils daily will result in healthier skin. Here are some examples of edible beauty oils: acai, avocado, chia seed, flaxseed, sacha inchi, and moringa. Please make sure that you consume only food grade cold-pressed oils…organic if possible.
6) Exercise: it may be hard to keep this habit but once you get into the habit and see the effects on your body, you will be hooked for life…for the most part. Exercising also helps your body detox by opening up your pores and sweating out the toxins.
7) Sleep sufficiently: for adults, 7-8 hours of nightly sleep.
8) Schedule in me-time to contemplate and meditate on what is true, good, and beautiful.
9) Have lots of fun and laughter with family and friends.
In conclusion, holistic beauty is a proactive approach to achieving healthy skin. The focus is on getting the body, mind, and soul into a healthy balance. Pick one or more holistic beauty habits from the list and start incorporating one aspect at a time into your routine or lifestyle, and build on each of these beauty habits. This is an empowering process that will nudge you towards taking more responsibility for your overall health. When your body, mind, and soul are healthy, your skin will glow as well!